This is what it's like to be in your 50s and for most of your friends to be in their 50s too...
- visited a friend whose 87 year old mother is recovering from pneumonia - it will be weeks before she's walking again
- visited another friend who's just returned from England to check up on both parents in a nursing home, one from strokes, the other with dementia
- dinner with a friend who told of visiting an 86 year old man in hospital - cops had to be called to his home when he had fallen and didn't answer the door
- news came by telephone of further confused behaviour by my 87 year old father-out-of-law
- finally scattered the ashes of my own father, four years after his death.